News and Events


View profile for Jenny Mayhew
  • Posted
  • Author

What can you do if your loved one cannot make decisions for themselves?  If they have a Power of Attorney in place the Attorneys can act for them (subject to registration requirements) but what happens if there is no Power of Attorney?


The answer is to apply for a Deputyship Order from the Court of Protection.  The Order will allow the Deputy to make and implement decisions on behalf of your loved one.  This can be used to run their Bank account, receive their pension and pay their care costs for example and, in some cases, allow the Deputy to sell the home.


The procedure to be appointed as a Deputy involves completing a number of forms to give details of your loved one and their assets and liabilities, a form to show why you are suitable to act as the Deputy and a form giving a medical assessment of capacity.  An Insurance Bond must also be taken out, as required by the Court.


The process can be daunting but here at Dawson Hart the Private Client Team is used to dealing with such applications and can guide you through the process from beginning to end.

For queries concerning a Deputyship contact Jenny Mayhew or any member of the Private Client team.