Services for your Family

Deputyship FAQs

What is a Deputy?

This is a person appointed by the Court of Protection to make and implement decisions for someone who is no longer able to make decisions for themselves and does not have the mental ability to sign a Power of Attorney.

When should I apply to become a Deputy for my loved one?

You should apply when your loved one does not have a valid LPA or EPA in place and is unable to make decisions for themselves and the time has come when decisions need to be made and implemented for that person.

How do I apply to be appointed as a Deputy?

You need to complete a series of forms prescribed by the Court of Protection.  In addition, a mental capacity assessment must be undertaken with regard to your loved one.  The forms are not straight forward so you should seek professional advice.